I love you Nintendo, but...

I love you Nintendo, but...
Keri's thoughts on the 3DS.

New 'Super 8' Trailer

New 'Super 8' Trailer
Dylan loves some Abrams.

Two Kobe Bryants

Two Kobe Bryants
Tom lays some truth.

Where's Green Lantern's Ads?

Where's Green Lantern's Ads?
Aaron's greatest fear!

About Last Night: Dexter Season 5 Finale

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hey, so there's this show on Showtime called Dexter that had a season finale last night.  Perhaps you've heard of it? Obligatory spoiler alert! Now read Butler's thoughts!

I'm not going to patronize you, our dear readers, by going in to detail again on my thoughts on Dexter as a show.  You can find those thoughts here and here, and there's no reason to repeat them.  I am in fact going to make it my mission to attempt to approach last night's episode from as levelheaded a perspective as possible.  And you know what? Without getting ahead of myself too much, I think the season 5 finale is not going to make that a difficult task.  Oh, don't mistake this for a reprise of my take on Lost, where a show I have been heretofore gushing about becomes the single largest betrayal I have ever encountered from my entertainment.  But rather, this season was perhaps too awesome to have a finale that would live up to my unrealistically high expectations.  Especially given the way last week's episode ended with about a million dangling threads that poor dexter was going to have to tie off, all while planning a birthday party.  But dwelling on the distant past (of one week ago) is for chumps and suckers, so let's start start talking season finale.

I've always kind of felt that shows that run on networks like Showtime or HBO put more effort into making the penultimate episode of the season the one that makes your adrenaline grands start firing at full force, while the final episode is the one that starts to set up the bridge between that season and the next.  True Blood does this a lot, as did Six Feet Under and The Sopranos.  I tended to think that Dexter was kind of immune to this phenomenon, but the season five finale seems to be setting the show more into this comfortable routine.  That isn't to say that the first half hour of the episode wasn't full of twists.  Watching Dexter hunt down Jordan Chase as Lumen tried to find any opportunity to escape from reliving her torture-rape horror was absolutely insane and I think my house was dead silent for the entirety of the sequence.  It did take them kind of forever to kill Chase once Dexter managed to get the upper hand, and all I could think was "haven't you assholes seen a James Bond movie? Stop gloating and explaining yourselves and just kill this human garbage!"  But right as I finished forming that thought, Lumen stabs Chase in the chest.  And that's that, I guess.

Hope your chiseled features serve you well
in HELL, Sickboy!

OK, well that's not entirely that, as there is the pretty intense moment where Deb shows up, catches the two of them in the cleanup process and lets them go (seriously, if you didn't read the spoiler warning, it's your own damn fault).  I realize that Quinn was in lockup (more on that in a moment) and she was partnerless, but I did find it incredibly contrived that she showed up to the scene of what is such a potentially huge case without a lick of backup.  Also, how did she miss the crashed car on the road from when Chase flipped Dexter's car?  I realize these are trifling complaints, but it did make certain aspects of the scene weaken Deb as a police officer, and I'm sorry, but she doesn't need even a little bit of help in that department.  As much as I'm willing to pledge my undying love to Jennifer Carpenter, Deb is probably the worst cop in the world and would not have made it out of the academy in the real world.  The notion that this emotional wreck would ever be deemed fit to hold a gun (especially after pulling one on an unarmed 12 year old in season 2) is absolutely laughable, so I find it hard to believe she'd be allowed to go out unaccompanied anywhere these days.  Especially on a case where the suspect may have been complicit in the rape and murder of 13 girls.  I just don't buy it.

But let's return to Quinn for a moment.  I mentioned in my assessment of the premiere that I was skeptical, but intrigued by Quinn assuming the de facto role of James "watchin' you mothafucka" Doakes.  We saw pretty quickly, however, that he did not have even a quarter of the testicular fortitude to fill Doakes' big black shoes, so they had no other choice but to call in the motherfucking Robocop (Stan Liddy, played by Peter Weller, who played... do I have to spell it out for you?).  It is, in fact, the plot line spawned by the Robocop with which I take the biggest issue.  As we saw Robocop (I never call him Liddy) get more and more obsessed with tracking Dexter, the show's tension built to insurmountable levels.  When Dexter finally killed him last week, my chief concern was not about him and Lumen or Chase, but what would happen when he killed a goddamn police officer in an act of survivalist desperation.  Yet a little suspicion on Quinn followed by one fudged blood test and all is forgiven.  No one even mentions the case in the last 20 minutes of the episode save Quinn thanking Dexter for clearing him.  I mean, seriously, what the hell?

Perhaps the ONLY recourse for progress on this case is that 
which Dexter already killed.

Lumen leaving Dexter felt contrived and sudden at first, almost as if they realized at the very last second that having Mr. and Mrs. Dexter plot their evening kill over their morning cheerios would get stale really quickly.  And I agree that she had to go, and killing her would have simply been Rita all over again, but I don't know... There was an interview with Julia Stiles after the show where she pointed out that her accepting Dexter only to reject him after knowing what he is makes it a much more profound rejection, and that did make me more satisfied with how things played out, but I resent that it essentially took Julia Stiles sitting down to explain it to me bit by bit, and that is simply not acceptable for a show as good as Dexter.  My biggest concern at this point is that because the season ended with things so neatly tied up, they may be scrambling for ideas.  Realistically, they only have one season left in them anyway.  The aforementioned Six Feet Under and Sopranos knew when to call it quits (5 and 6 seasons respectively) and I just hope that the crew of Dexter shows the same prescience when deciding where to take their show.  Dexter, I love you, but you're worrying me.  Obviously we've got a wait and a half until Season 6 gets started, but I am concerned that rather than letting a good thing die, they may try to milk this show to oblivion.  And that would make me a sad, sad panda.  But enough about me.  What did YOU think?  Worthy finale, total flop, kind of enh, or viewpoint that I didn't just list?  Lay it on us, Internet!

10 comments:

Berian said...

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The first half of the finale kept me on the edge of my seat. The latter half however, like you said, seemed tied things up a little too neatly.

How interesting would Season 6 be, if only Deb had pulled back that plastic sheet?

Let's just hope some of the ends hadn't been tied up as we thought. Let's think that they had rather been bottled, ready to pull out again next season. Such as an actual investigation into RoboCop murder? Or Perhaps Deb finds the pictures RoboCop snapped of Dex and Lumen disposing of Cole's body? Or even a possible link to the fact that Dexter had blood query run on Emily Birch just days before she was bludgeoned to death?

All in all, I'm looking forward to Season 6, I'm just dreading the wait for it.

December 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Unknown said...

I thought the whole season went way to quickly without enough going on. Okay, let me rephrase, there were things going on. However Dexter did not seem concerned enough about them. And the season finale just pissed me off. This episode must of just been (Let's make Deb look stupid). When did she stop being mad at Quinn about looking into Dexter? As far as I can it was when Quinn was in a Jail cell for a possible murder not telling her anything (again) And she shows up on a scene with no backup? See's the rape room, and does not immediately get the hell out of there? And then after searching for the vigilante's, does not even want to see them??? And as soon as the blood is cleared on Quinn, everything is honky dory? WHAT??? He would not tell them how he was involved, he asked for a lawyer! That would not cause for further investigation? But what really pissed me off, really..was Lumen leaving. Not that I was very happy that, that relationship happened so damn fast. But Lumen just waking up the next morning thinking "Oh, I'm fixed" Oh bullshit. That kind of thing takes a lot more than that to fix. And they made it look like her attraction to Dexter was not just because they both wanted to kill things, but because he made her feel safe. Yes you could argue but with Jordan dead, she does not need to feel safe. And to that I again say bullshit. Remember Rita? Dexter liked her at first because she was a victim of rape and abuse. And she would not even have sex with him. For a while anyhow. Whatever though. The whole season does not make sense in the real world or the past dexter world that has been built. I loved Dexter, but it's like they have no good follow up after killing Rita.. It's already stale.. Another season like this and I think the show will be over for me. Because I wont be able to watch it kill its self anymore. (Pun Intended)

December 12, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Anonymous said...

great finale, It opens up season six to anything, it is like starting over.

I predict something like season 4, there is a thug on the lose, dexter gets involved, and then something bad happens to affect season 7

But what do I know, season 5 was great, one of the best, but what will happen next

December 12, 2010 at 11:30 PM
K.C. Brown said...

I'm somewhat disappointed with the finale last night. The problem I think I had which I'm sure a lot of others shared along with me, is that I had great expectations after season 4. I can, with no doubt, say that season 4 with the Trinity Killer was one of my favorite seasons of any show. Period. I liked how the show transformed into its own with Lumen being freed from the clutches of Boyd and the rest of the crew. I just feel like there wasn't enough there though. I agree with MaggieMae in the sense that it really didn't feel like Dexter was actually worried about the situations which were presented until Lumen was taken by Jordin Chase (who was fu**ing awesome by the way). I also agree that Deb is one of the worst cops in the history of television. Why in the hell after spending countless hours working your ass off to figure out this bizarre "barrel girl" case would you not at least want to see who they were!!!??? Either way, maybe I'm complaining too much, I just expect a little bit more out of my Dexter. That being said, I would give this season an 8/10...

December 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM
Anonymous said...

She looks down and notices blood on his shoes....
Quinn asked for a lawyer...
The dead cop calls Quinn before he dies...
Dexter calls Chase...
Dexter crashes a car in the woods at the camp with his blood and hair..
How did they get rid of the crashed car...
Where did the trash bags come from to transport Chase...
What about phone records on Chase and Dexter...
Lemen just decides Im done see u later...
Chase's Auto having Lemens hair in the back of it...

I don't know but that ending was about a 1 out of 5 stars... It had more holes in it than swiss cheese. I'd hardly call it all tidy and clean. There were more a lot more things that needed ti make it a clean get away.

December 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM
Anonymous said...

-When Dexter stole the car he supposedly had his kill kit and his bloodwork kit with him but after crashing the car he only had the kill kit.

-Didn't the police search Robocops apartment and find all those pictures of Dexter? What about Quinn's house?

-Anyone remember Kyle Butler?


Julia Stiles says at the end of the interview; Where will they go, it's an open slate, Lumen has allot of secrets. Sadly, we may not have seen the last of this character.

Unfortunately, as the general tone of this blog reveals, this was not a great finale but I wasn't expecting much from a pretty weak season of Dexter. This show has had it's day and the writers have lost it.

December 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM
Anonymous said...

Actually, life is a lot sloppier than we can imagine. Seems to me that all the details that don't make sense are what makes it feel real.

This season was about emotions. Dexter experienced unconditional love and acceptance from someone who saw his true self ... and it changed him. I find it interesting that the one thing Julia Stiles had to explain was the emotional impact of Lumen leaving Dexter after knowing him truly, deeply and intimately.

Personally, I hope season 6 brings healing for Dexter, too. He has worked very hard to live up to his father's teachings and now it is time that Dexter found his own path, a path that includes being a father of a son who also sat in a pool of his dead mother's blood. We get to see things happen differently for Harrison.

I love this show and this season in particular. I hope Lumen comes back. It would just make sense that the euphoria of the last kill would wear off and she would also miss the one man who really can see all of her.

December 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM
Anonymous said...

This seasoon was an absolute wreck in every regard.

What happened to the other serial killer who got away in the beginning of the season?

What happened to the new Mexican female detective?

How supposedly did Deb get praise from everyone for solving the barrel girl case without Chase's body????

The entirety of Liddy's death and Quinn's involvement is solved in a matter of seconds??? What about the surveillance equipment? The photos?

What about that last girl Chase bludgeoned to death?

This season jumped all over and has so many holes I could drive a Hummer through them. Not to mention that Lumen was without a doubt THE worst character this show has ever seen. She was a predictable and lame trouble maker for Dexter to follow around, like a child who couldn't ever follow directions.

Instead of having Deb see Dexter at the crime scene and actually having this show go to the next level, we're given the safe cop out and predictable outcome.

This season was absolutely horrible in a myriad of ways. I suffered through every episode. This may have been the last season of Dexter I watch.

December 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM
Anonymous said...

When I first started watching Dexter three years ago, I was mesmerized. The show presented a story that I had never seen on television and surely never will. Dexter presented synergy - everything was clicking on all levels. Sadly, it was only Seasons 1-3 which were really well done. Those seasons were based off the novels. It's the latest seasons which had nothing to do with the books that are very weak. The finale of Season 4 saved the season. Season 5 is the weakest season of Dexter. I'm sure many of you will not agree with my assessments and I respect that.

Go watch Season 1, you'll remember.

December 16, 2010 at 8:49 AM
Anonymous said...

In order for Dexter to reach the next level the story must go all out. I envision a Suspect-Zero treatment. This season was weak but it did present a clean start for Season 6. The most intriguing aspect of the finale which I enjoyed was when Dexter tells Lumen he'll carry her darkness with his. The reason why I felt this to be a very interesting is that Harry taught Dexter a set of principles which he must follow in order for him to survive - The Code. This season saw Dexter kill individuals who all but one were not murderers but rapists. This can go to another level in he next season with Dexter killing individuals whom he believes all potentially dangerous to society.
I believe the writers must draw key ideas for the next season from the novel. Instead of Dexter hunting down serial killers, it would be interesting to see a serial killer hunting him down.

Many story lines have emerged for the next season. Quinn knowing that Dexter killed Liddy. This can present a Doakes-like storyline for Quinn or even Quinn needing Dexter's help.

Deb coming very close to knowing Dexter's secret definetly will make Dexter more disciplined. I expect him to not make relationships at all next season.

Even though the season was weak, many good things can happen in the next season of Dexter which can potentially expand Dexter's personality.

December 16, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Post a Comment

 

2010 ·WordsFinest ...Greetings from Boulder